Manufacturing Engineer, Projects
Posted by Leatherman on 08/28/2023
Industry Sector: , Action, Bike, Fishing, Fitness, Hunting/Shooting, Lifestyle, Outdoor, Snow, WaterSports
Job Categories: Design - Engineer, Operations
Company Type: Accessories, HardGoods/Equipment, Recreation, Retail
Country: United States
Required Experience: 3 - 5 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Leatherman is the world leader in the design and manufacturer of innovative, high quality, compact, multi-purpose tools. We employ over 500 team members in our 90,000 square feet facility. Please visit our website at: www.leatherman.com
The successful candidate for the Manufacturing Engineer - Projects will play an instrumental role in bringing new products to market by providing manufacturability feedback to product designers, developing robust and capable processes, and problem-solving manufacturing challenges. Maintains a heavy focus on continuous improvement, cost reduction, and factory capital projects in partnership with Product Design, Manufacturing, Quality, and Supply Chain. Actively identifies areas for improvement and implementation of advanced technologies. Supports business objectives and goals related to Safety Quality Delivery Cost (SQDC).
- Lead manufacturing process development for new product introductions.
- Develop tooling, gauging, and fixturing to support part processing and inspection.
- Partner with suppliers to understand design for manufacturing opportunities to support controlled and capable processes.
- Inform manufacturing and product decision making by calculating process times and labor and material costs.
- Perform statistical analysis, including capability studies, control charts, and interpret results.
- Lead new or re-engineered capital equipment projects by understanding the needs and requirements, quotation, runoff and installation process.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with cross functional areas to ensure new products are introduced to manufacturing in an effective manner.
- Provide DFM feedback to the Design and Advanced Development teams.
- Review DFMEA and perform PFMEA studies to inform project risks, control plans, and PPAP content.
- Proactively identify areas of improvement. Outline potential projects and baseline them against metrics.
- Create and update process prints based on process capability and tolerance stack-ups.
- Understand and apply Lean and Six Sigma tools.
- Lead problem solving teams that implement corrective action through effective identification of root cause.
- Understand the opportunities in emerging technologies and how they apply to Leatherman.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Manufacturing or Mechanical Engineering is required.
- Three or more years of experience which provides knowledge of manufacturing processes in light industry and utilization of advanced problem-solving skills preferred.
- Strong computer knowledge with demonstrated experience in MS Outlook, Word and Excel.
- CAD skills required. Solidworks experience preferred. Understanding of GD&T preferred.
- Able to utilize problem solving engineering methods such as Shainin, 8D, or Six Sigma.
- Demonstrated knowledge of fixture design methodology.
We care about the Health and Wellbeing of our Employees
Leatherman believes having healthy employees contributes to a healthy and productive workplace and community. While we're all responsible for our own overall health and well-being, Leatherman works toward helping employees make healthy lifestyle choices and changes that improve their health and overall quality of life through its many Health and Wellbeing Resources.
- Free/low cost on-site primary care health center
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- Life and disability insurance
- Flexible spending and health savings accounts
- Behavioral health programs
- Pet insurance
- Onsite health coaching
- Lifestyle and fitness programs
- Tuition assistance
- Employee volunteer program
- Generous employee discounts
- Onsite fitness center
- Paid time off
We thrill our consumers with quality, products and service; We care about each other’s well-being; We share ideas, challenge each other and do the right thing; We respect each other, show humility and grow from our failures; We foster the development of individuals to reach their greatest potential.
We create innovative products that prepare people for the expected and unexpected and result in real tales of triumph.
Our vision is to be the global multipurpose brand of choice.
Pre-employment background check and drug screening is required. Leatherman Is An Equal Opportunity Employer.