Product Line Specialist - Fishing Rods & Reels
Posted by Shimano North America Holding, Inc. on 09/17/2023
Industry Sector: Bike, Fishing, Hunting/Shooting, Lifestyle, Outdoor
Job Categories: Management - Product -Brand, Product Analyst, Retail - Sales, Sales - Inside - Product & Reservations
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment, Retail
Country: United States
Required Experience: 1 - 3 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Product Line Specialist - Fishing Rods & Reels
Shimano North America Holding, Inc. is a global company that produces products for bicycling and fishing markets. Our fishing division produces and sells products under the Shimano, G. Loomis and Power Pro brands.
The Product Line Specialist (PLS) manages fishing rods, reels, and other products throughout the product’s lifecycle. Primary responsibilities include ongoing market research into current and potential future product trends, changing product requirements, measuring product successes, and evaluating competitor developments. There is an opportunity for this position to complete a one-year assignment at Shimano’s global headquarters in Sakai, Japan. This position will report; to the Manager of the Product Planning Team.
Phase 1 Requirement:
Develop an understanding of the North American fishing tackle market and conduct product development activities for assigned product categories.
- Develop knowledge of the size and share of the market of each major fishery which includes:
- Bass and other freshwater species
- Saltwater species
- Fly fishing
- General use
- Within each major fishery, determine the most influential sub-markets, size, and share. Gain the following knowledge of product ranges for each major fishery:
- Key products
- Size and share of various products and product categories
- Size and share by price
- Size and share by competitor
- Determine past and present “trends” in each major fishery and how each fishery transitioned over the last five years.
- Continuously obtain an understanding of the competitive landscape. Conduct competitive assessments.
- Develop core competencies in competitors’ product performance. Gain thorough knowledge of products by learning what they are good at and why.
- Determine their market approach/strategy.
- Research markets they do/do not touch
- Understand key market strengths/weaknesses.
- Study competitors’ history and future.
- Determine market share by category.
- Learn and embody team Shimano’s Mission and Philosophies
- Understand how and why we do business the way we do
- Gain significant knowledge of how the fishing market operates at the trade level
- Learn distribution model, customer types, and ranges
- Substantial study of various internal teams at Shimano American
- Determine sales structure
- Understand pricing/terms/commissions, etc.
Product Development Activity
- Manage forward planning activities for assigned categories.
- Demand forecasting
- Direct schedule management to maintain product timelines.
- Communicate cross-functionally to align product and business strategies.
- Maintain product data databases.
Phase 2 Requirements: Overseas Assignment
- Reports to Shimano Japan Fishing Division planning senior manager
- Learn the total Team Shimano product planning process
- Total immersion into Shimano’s design/development process
- Broaden understanding of development and manufacturing
- Study pre-planning, market segmentation, and lifecycle management
- Create product proposals
- Maintain year product plans
- Represent the OVS markets in planning decisions and strategy
- Lead various projects as assigned
Phase 3 Requirements: Return to Shimano North America
- Apply experience to review/improve the product management process
- Total product line management responsibilities
- Thorough knowledge and passion for fishing and associated products.
- 1-3 years of experience in market research or product line planning
- Requires general business skills, industry knowledge, financial management, and planning skills.
- Possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy.
- Demonstrate market intelligence in the fish arena to assist and guide Sales, Promotions, Service, and Supply Chain in continued growth.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management in an organized and professional manner. Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to utilize judgment in the decision-making process and decisions related to job tasks.
- Excellent customer service skills. Must establish credibility and build positive and professional relationships with customers.
- Ability to work with teams. Effectively establish and maintain a working relationship with all levels within the company, internally, externally, and cross-culturally.
- Project and time management skills. Must have the ability to prioritize and complete tasks.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills. Significant data gathering/analysis/reporting
- Must be reliable and resourceful.
- Extensive travel. Must be willing to travel extensively.
- Overseas assignment.
- Basic understanding of the Japanese language or willingness to learn
- Proficient experience in Windows-based programs, including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Teams and Access). Familiarity with the Internet and Web-based applications and familiarity with database marketing (profiles, models, reporting, etc.) are required.
Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, or related field/discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience as required for the specific job level.