Senior Commodity Specialist, Soft Goods & Textiles
Posted by Leatherman on 06/13/2021
Industry Sector: , Action, Bike, Fishing, Fitness, Hunting/Shooting, Lifestyle, Outdoor, Snow, WaterSports
Job Categories: Manufacturing, Marketing & Digital Marketing, Purchasing, Sourcing
Company Type: Accessories, HardGoods/Equipment, Recreation, Retail
Country: United States
Required Experience: 10+ years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate:
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
When Tim Leatherman built the first American multipurpose tool, there were no CAD files, no blueprints. Just perseverance, imagination, and a little ingenuity. The result is a product that customers around the world have come to trust and use to solve problems big and small. That same spirit flows through our company today. It’s a place where you can help create solutions that improve the lives of our consumers and our communities. Where you can work with amazing folks that care for each other, learn from one another, and laugh—a lot. It’s a place where you can help build a better brand, and a better you.
We believe we are here to empower people for whatever life throws their way. Regardless of who you are, we believe that
with the right tools in hand, anyone can achieve greatness. We believe we can make significant contributions to the world through innovation, so we value perseverance in our work and ingenious design in our products. We believe in growing and supporting our most valuable asset—our employees. That’s why we believe in integrity and authentic collaboration, which instills trust in one another and allows us to create global solutions that our competitors cannot copy. We believe in self honesty and humility which fuels change and growth from our failures. When we reflect these values, we believe we’re building a thriving culture that celebrates diversity, promotes personal and professional growth, develops respect for one another, and cultivates a community that can solve any problem.
Leatherman is the world leader in the design and manufacturer of innovative, high quality, compact, multi-purpose tools. We employ over 500 team members in our 90,000 square feet facility. Please visit our website at: www.leatherman.com
Work cross-functionally sourcing finished or semi-finished goods for new product categories and innovations providing support to our MPX team. Develop, maintain and growing mutually beneficial relationships with supply chain partners. Employ critical thinking, comparative analysis and current supply management body of knowledge to a variety of complex or technical finished and semi-finished goods, supplies, capital equipment or services. Lead in the development of sourcing strategies and negotiation processes. Be a subject matter expert for the MPX team.
- Work cross functionally with our development team to lead sustainable sourcing, research and development from our materials to construction.
- Recommend suppliers for our MPX product line through a critical analysis of the total cost of ownership and supplier risk assessment. Determine capabilities via site visits, design guides and samples. Determine drivers of tooling and part costs, as well as design, tooling and production lead times. Integrate factory selection, compliance, and costing into broader go-to-market process.
- Research and report on supplier risk through in-depth analysis of a supplier’s financial health, customer base, raw material supply chain, industry analysis, and geo-political and natural disaster exposure.
- Utilize data, tools and processes to ensure consistency of information shared with the organization. Support continuous improvement through effective teaming with appropriate departments to Investigate and implement new technologies, strategic procurement strategies, and logistical opportunities.
- Create and/or implement inventory strategies that achieve optimal balance between the need for operational flexibility and manufacturing flow, the expectation to minimize working capital requirements and to avoid write-offs due to obsolescence.
- Enhance and advocate for vendors’ capabilities and use of new technologies, to drive innovation of process and product.
- Negotiate the best possible purchase agreements and contracts for Leatherman, addressing delivery, quality, price, terms, inventory exposure, noncompliance penalties, continuous improvement incentives and other associated considerations.
- Evaluate and manage supplier performance on an ongoing basis, working with Quality, Engineering and Manufacturing for input and issue resolution.
- Participate in the development and initiation of Lean and cost reduction opportunities including replenishment, Kanban, and VMI processes with business units and supply base. Evaluate supply chain for cost improvement objectives, based on lower-or-avoided costs or acquisition of added-or-improved services without costs.
- Maintains positive relations with existing suppliers through thorough communications of Leatherman philosophy, material requirements, and pricing objectives. Contacts suppliers regarding material problems, such as delayed receipt, poor quality, wrong items, etc., and resolves issues.
- Continually drive and maintain the integrity and accuracy of ERP data. Must have a functional understanding of the screens, fields and system interactions within ERP, to include materials requirements planning, supplier scheduling, purchase orders, supplier maintenance, inventory transactions, cycle counting, bills of materials, routers, and item masters.
- Maintains records and documentation pertaining to past activities, bid results, supplier selection, supplier specifications and performance histories, etc. and provides information to management as needed.
- Works with Accounts Payable and the MRB team to ensure timely payment of conforming products and services received and return/rework of materials that are defective or in excess.
- Investigate and implement new technologies, strategic procurement strategies, and logistical opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain Management or Business, or equivalent experience required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Ten or more years sourcing experience preferably in textiles and soft products both domestically and overseas.
- Experience working with and traveling to domestic and international suppliers.
- Advanced proven working knowledge of MRP/ERP systems is required, preferably with Microsoft Dynamics AX or D365.
- Institute of Supply Management CPSM/CSM/CPM certification preferred.
- Experience with 5S, Standard Work, Visual Management, Kanban, Value Stream Mapping, Capacity Planning and Analysis, Cycle Counting, Make vs. Buy, Supplier Total Cost & Risk Assessment, Sales, Inventory & Operations Planning preferred.
- Good business acumen and understanding of the competitive global business environment, as well as an awareness of economic, social and political trends that impact the organization’s global strategy.
Leatherman Tool Group is committed to providing a total rewards package to our employees that is a multipurpose as our products. Our total rewards package includes competitive compensation along with medical, dental, vision, disability life insurance, PTO, and our Employee Assistance Program. The package also includes a generous bonus plan, employee discount on products, eligibility upon hire for 401k contributions with up to 5% match and immediate vesting. Here at Leatherman we also believe in investing in the wellbeing of our team members through offerings like 10 paid holidays, our on-site health center with nutrition classes, a gym, an outdoor basketball court, a pickle ball court and an award winning wellness program. And because your success is our success we offer our employees opportunities for career advancement and personal growth with our tuition reimbursement program, online classes through LinkedIn Learning, and our job shadow program.
We thrill our consumers with quality, products and service; We care about each other’s well-being; We share ideas, challenge each other and do the right thing; We respect each other, show humility and grow from our failures; We foster the development of individuals to reach their greatest potential.
We create innovative products that prepare people for the expected and unexpected and result in real tales of triumph.
Our vision is to be the global multipurpose brand of choice.
Pre-employment background check and drug screening is required. Leatherman Is An Equal Opportunity Employer.