Posted by Burley Design on 12/14/2020
Industry Sector: Bike, Outdoor
Job Categories: Design - Engineer
Company Type: HardGoods/Equipment
Country: United States
Required Experience: 1 - 3 years
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel: Yes
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates interested in this position must provide a resume AND a cover letter that details their interest, intent, and applicable experience for this role. Boiler plate introductions are highly discouraged. Portfolios are recommended, however not required. Failure to submit all required documents will result in dismissal. Application materials should be emailed to HR@Burley.com, attachments made by PDF (Portfolios can be submitted in PDF or Weblink)
Finalists for this position are subject to a criminal background check.
Burley Design has been building bicycle trailers for over 40 years and is the global leader in the design and distribution of bicycle trailer products for children, pets, and cargo. Burley is in the business to enable adventure in all generations, and we are currently looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join our team in that effort.
As a Mechanical Design Engineer for Burley Design, you will have a key role in the design and development of concepts into manufacturable product across our product line. Expect to work on variety of products that include bicycle trailers, components, and accessories. The ideal candidate will be driven, passionate, self-motivated, and collaborative at their core. They will have strong problem-solving skills, a in depth understanding of manufacturing processes, and proven track record of taking projects from concept through production for complex multipart assemblies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a Mechanical Design Engineer, you will have three primary responsibilities:
Product Design and Development:
- Develop, visualize, and communicate product concepts through sketching, modeling, and rapid prototyping in collaboration with Industrial Design.
- Develop conceptual ideas into physical form, and ultimately manufacturable product by utilizing 3D Modeling, physical prototyping, and testing.
- Create 3D models and assemblies, perform analysis, create part and assembly drawings, and engineering BOMs.
- Collaborates with Senior Engineering staff in performing and participating in thorough design reviews, including DFMEAs, DFM, and other tools during design and development process.
- Effectively work with contract manufacturers during all product development phases to bring concepts into production. Including specifying appropriate materials, tooling and gauge design, and defining manufacturing requirements and processes.
- Collaborate with manufactures and key stakeholders to ensure that the end product meets all project parameters including user experience, performance metrics, costing, and timeline.
- Collaborate with Testing Engineering to develop and conduct performance and lab testing procedures that effectively guide the further refinement of product concepts, and the qualification of the product to governing standards.
- Assists with engineering part review of costed BOMs for part and material specification accuracy, and provides analysis on costing based on design, material, and manufacturing specifications.
- Provides technical product guidance to Industrial Design, Quality, and Marketing on the development of product manuals, packaging, and labels.
- Participates in, and conducts multiple research and development projects per year
- Evaluates field issues as assigned.
- Collaborates with Senior Engineering staff to complete necessary design revisions, and complete all necessary engineering documentation.
- Conducts documentation of product changes through the engineering change process
Product and Team Support
- Provides technical product guidance to Sales and Marketing teams as assigned.
- Maintains a thorough working knowledge of our products as well as competitive products.
- Follows file management practices and procedures.
- Troubleshoots technical customer service and field issues as assigned.
- Learns and understand all applicable regulatory standards, and how they affect design.
- Assists in the maintenance of the in-house prototyping equipment as needed
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3-7 years of full-time experience in a Design or Mechanical Engineering position, preferably for a company developing Consumer Goods.
- Proficient understanding of manufacturing practices welding, casting, machining, and injection molding.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks, including concept, part, assembly and advanced surfacing methods.
- Experience using GD&T, and 2D and 3D Design Documentation practices.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with international development partners.
- Self-motivated and detail orientated person.
- Curiosity and Collaboration at their core.
- Ability and desire to learn bicycle mechanics and assembly.
- Ability and passion to build and create physical prototypes.
- A passion for work that is paralleled by your passion for getting outside and living it.
- Ability to use computer extensively.
- Ability to periodically lift up to 50 lbs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Work areas are inside in a climate-controlled environment with moderate background noise.
- Travel up to 8 weeks per year (domestic and international) for trade shows, company events, customer visits, research, etc.
- The ability to use a keyboard, and to communicate orally and in writing is required.
- The ability to work extended hours as business needs dictate.
- Must be able to transport and set up product.
About Burley Design
Our vision is to build the next generation of riders, adventurers and explorers. This is our legacy, and we build it one day at a time by investing in our products, our people and our community.