Bulk Fabric Technologist
Posted by Kathmandu Ltd on 11/21/2019
Industry Sector: Lifestyle, Outdoor
Job Categories: Sourcing
Company Type: Accessories, Apparel/SoftGoods, HardGoods/Equipment
Country: New Zealand
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within:
Job Description & Requirements
Kathmandu is looking for an experienced Bulk Fabric Technologist to join the Product team at Kathmandu. The successful candidate will be a subject matter expert who ensures that the bulk material approvals meet or exceed Kathmandu quality standards in line with critical path. You will be responsible for coordinating bulk testing of materials with mills & working with mills and the Materials Development Manager when fabrics fail to meet performance criteria.
Based at our support office in Christchurch, reporting to the Materials Development Manager, this key position will have overall responsibility for:
- Setting up seasonal bulk trackers and initiating testing requests to mills. Prioritising bulk fabric approvals in line with seasonal production schedule
- Working with the Materials Development Manager, Mills, Product Suppliers, Production, Sourcing & Merchandising teams where fabrics fail to meet aesthetic or physical performance criteria & finding a suitable and timely solution for remediation
- Contribute to the fabric testing process to ensure that textile standards are adhered to at all times and laboratories are evaluated for accreditation under the Kathmandu Laboratory Accreditation (LAP) Program
- Fabric supplier DIFOTIS (Delivery in Full on Time in Spec) is monitored in conjunction with Production Team
- Leading the compliance process for materials to ensure that Kathmandu performs all due diligence testing and certificates of compliance are received for all products that have a legislated mandatory requirement, particularly for sale in markets outside AU/NZ
- Manages Kathmandu lab, developing SOP’s and deploying training to team.
- Working on QA materials related projects in line with business needs
This is not a job; it’s a career opportunity for a candidate who will thrive in a fun, fast paced but professional environment. You will have;
- Graduated from an NZ or overseas institution with degree/diploma in Textile Clothing, Textile Sciences or similar disciplines
- Minimum 5-6 years’ experience in a relevant field
- Strong knowledge of Performance Textiles, Yarns, Fabric Manufacturing & Chemical Processing
- Strong understanding of International Standards ASTM, ISO and others
- Strong understanding of global compliance requirements CPSIA, Prop 65, REACH etc.
- Knowledge of testing requirements for non-apparel products (equipment)
- Good level of computer literacy such as excel, word, PowerPoint etc.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interact effectively across Kathmandu’s operations
- Ability to work to set deadlines and adhere to these
The right personal attributes that align with Kathmandu’s friendly and open culture and values is paramount; we are our Brand, and have affinity for travel and adventure lifestyle pursuits, we want you to understand our passion too.
If you are looking for a role with a forward thinking, innovative, sustainable company where you can have a real impact on direction, this is the role for you. Kathmandu offers a competitive remuneration package commensurate with level of experience, a relaxed and a friendly team environment, all in a 5 star green rated building.