Multi-sport Lead Guide
Posted by Zion Adventures on 01/13/2020
Industry Sector: Action, Bike, Outdoor
Job Categories: Guide, Outdoor Education
Company Type: Gym/Outfitter, HardGoods/Equipment, Recreation, Service, TravelandTourism
Country: United States
Contact Name: Jon Ritze
Contact Phone: 4357721001 ext 107
Job Type: Full Time
Required to Relocate: Yes
Required to Travel:
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job Seeker Must Live Within: 50+ miles
Job Description & Requirements
We are no longer accepting applications for Lead Guide positions for 2020. We are still hiring for Outfitter and Bike Mechanic positions. Please submit your application ASAP if you're interested.
Application Deadline: February 15th for positions beginning March 2nd
We are currently accepting applications for 2020 positions.
Impassioned by empowerment. The distinctive landscape of Southern Utah entices aspiring adventurers from around the world to come discover the wonders of the desert through canyoneering, rock climbing, hiking, and mountain biking. Guides with Zion Adventures spend their days in the canyons, on the cliffs, and out in the field introducing new sports and technical skills to clientele of all ages, backgrounds, and walks of life. However, Zion Adventures’ trips and courses are more than just technical instruction. Our guides are driven by an innate passion to enable our clients to understand outdoor adventure as an opportunity to learn, explore, and grow. To confront fears and realize hopes, to form relationships with each other, with the environment, and to facilitate small, but meaningful life-defining moments.
As such, Guides are more than an impressive resume of outdoor pursuits - they are confident, impassioned teachers who love exploring the natural world, and celebrating the opportunity for authentic human experience within. Guides are social and supportive, approachable and adept teachers who themselves are also dedicated learners. Guides are driven by a passion for service to others and find fulfillment in teaching and empowering others through exploration in the outdoors
- Complete initial and ongoing training in the Zion Adventures guide development program
- Progress to leading your own trips by May 24, or sooner if possible
- Facilitate half- and full-day canyoneering, rock climbing, mountain biking, road biking, and hiking trips and courses.
- Create a safe, fun, and educational atmosphere
- Build, evaluate, and manage a wide variety of anchor and rope systems
- Teach students basic to advanced technical skills and techniques
- Empower students to become self-guided canyoneers and outdoors people
- Wash, repair, and maintain canyon and climbing equipment
- Build an impressive knowledge base of the roads, trails, hikes, canyons, climbing routes, and hidden secrets of Zion National Park and the surrounding area on personal time
- Positions with driving duties require minimum insurance age of 23 with valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Current Wilderness First Responder (including CPR and First Aid)
- Desired Certifications: AMGA SPI or Rock Guide, PCGI single pitch, ACA Canyon Leader or Canyon Guide, or equivalent experience
- Desired Skills & Experiences:
- 2+ years independent teaching, training, or leading in any venue (not necessarily technical in the outdoors)
- Comfortable working knowledge in technical ropework, rappel skills, rescue skills, and mechanical advantage systems
- Can lead 5.10 sport or higher in single pitch terrain
- Experience riding technical mountain bike terrain
- Confident and precise in speech; uninhibited in group settings
- Applicants should be physically fit, with strong hiking ability
- Able to demonstrate solid teaching skills
- Able to learn quickly
- Familiarity preferred with the canyons and climbing of southwestern Utah, and/or other canyon and climbing areas around the country/world.
- Season: Beginning March 2nd, ending October 31st or November 29th.
- Regular 5 day/week work schedule
- Year-round work may be available
- Opportunity to design days for optimal success based on the desires and needs of the clients
- A truly astounding clientele, from all ages, places, and walks of life
- Pro-purchase opportunities from many outdoor equipment manufacturers
- Work in an engaging, active environment with others who share a passion for experience and outdoor adventure
- Free tuition for all Zion Adventures trips and courses
- Free use of many company gear items for personal recreation days
About Zion Adventures
Since 1996 we have been Zion National Park's premiere outfitters, educators, and guides - helping visitors experience Zion like no one else can. We embrace the opportunity to connect visitors with adventure in the area which extends to many realms. This includes guided trips in canyoneering, rock climbing, mountain biking, 4X4 Overland tours, hiking and backpacking. Our rental and retail store specializes in equipping visitors with anything they may need to better enjoy the area from friendly knowledgable staff. We rent out equipment for the Zion Narrows as well as other slot canyon adventures requiring specialized cold water equipment and help assist bicyclists with bike rentals, and information to enjoy the park on two wheels. We are passionate about providing an exceptional level of service to others and strive for excellence in everything that we do.